CST338.1 Module One

 CST 338.1 Module One

1.0 First Week of Sofware Design

    This is the first week of our Software Design class ran by Dr. Clinkenbeard, where throughout the course we will be programming in Java, with a focus on Object Oriented Programming and it's implementation in software design. We'll be covering software life cycles, the development process, requirement analysis and GUI's. As the first week, it seemed like a lot to cover, from installing a new IDE I've never worked with before, to implementing repositories in github, both for test cases, and it's main function. However, after using the IDE and running through some basic programming exercises, It's nice to find some familiarity with the language, as I had taken a java course prior(not much, just basic OOP using a text editor, and running it through terminal/command prompt). In this course I'm excited to learn more about git and how to utilize its version control system. I'm also looking forward to the projects, since the way it was described, by just giving enough to struggle, and forcing you to strategize, tackling the development process one task at a time is something I'd like to instill as a habit in my programming habits.

1.1 WK01HW02: CodingBat Strings2, Maps, and functional (Learning Journal Entry)





    In the process of solving these CodingBat problems, I had to approach it differently then the previous codingbat exercises, since they were more basic, and didn't require a step-by-step approach, as most of the previous problems were basic one-liners. In this exercise however, I found on several instances I needed to examine and process what the code required, by sometimes using comments to rewrite what was said into pseudo-code, this was due to the fact that some of the problems required multiple steps, and others requiring analyzing lists via loops. After examining what was required, I began to look for edge cases in the pseudo-code which is not always clear, however after determining which edge cases I could use, I began to write code which covered the basic analysis of the problem, which from then I tweaked it to suit the basic problem, adhering to edge cases.

    I'll admit some of the code stumped me initially, and I think on those problems I didn't spend enough time and focus examining the problem and looking for different approaches to solving the problem. It was also apparent that when I took the time to write out some pseudo-code, it required less effort in the formulation of a solution.

Comments

Popular Posts