CST300.3 Module Three

 

3 Module Three


3.0 Collab-U Module 3

    In this module of Collab-U our focus was primarily centered around work styles, and conflict management, where we try to analyze our own attributes and find ways that will aid the collaboration process of the group. For me, I know I process things more internally and my work tends to lean towards the "Get it Right" style, where I tend to spend more time analyzing and finding the best approach before leaping into starting the task. When it came to the conflict styles portion, I found out that I tend to lean towards being more avoiding and accommodating, and when I make attempts to collaborate It leans more towards compromising. So moving forward, I need to be slightly more assertive, since conflict at times is necessary for the greater good of the group.

3.1 Study Tip: Improving Listening Skills

    Under the previous module, I had listed that staying awake and active during a lecture have proven to be difficult. However, AcademicTips.org provides some good tips to keep the mind focused on the subject at hand. One I will try to implement is by trying to predict the speaker's next main idea, as this will engage me in a way that allows me to look for clues throughout the lecture. Another tip is to create mental summaries of the speaker's main ideas. I believe I already do this, whilst taking notes, in which most the time are just bullet points, I tend to refine and make them into coherent summaries afterward.

3.2 Learned Material for this Module

    In this module, we covered ethics in computer technology and how the advancement in the field has brought up a myriad of ethical questions worth considering. Where ethics is based on a standard of right and wrong, in most scenarios is hard to distinguish, therefore we must break it down into affected parties or stakeholders. We can then apply an ethical framework behind each stakeholder's motive and upon further examination come up with an ethical argument that suits us. Stakeholders can range from individual parties, leaders or even governments and their decisions/actions are typically based on ethical frameworks such as: utilitarianism, virtue, kant, relativism, care, divine command theory and natural law.

3.3 What a Computer Science Major Needs to Know

    After reading What a Computer Science Major Needs to Know, there is a vast array of skillsets and subjects a Computer Science Major needs to be familiar with upon graduation. Especially to obtain a job and maintain lifelong employment thereafter. It's great that the CS Online program offers courses on a majority of the subjects, Although a few subjects are not included in the curriculum, I believe the program fits uniquely to my intended work field, being in software engineering with a focus on graphics programming at a company that utilizes cloud technology.

3.4 Code of Integrity

    website Upon reading through the Code of Integrity laid out by CSUMB's CS Online program, Integrity was an important aspect to uphold throughout the course. In order to maintain academic integrity we must be conscious of plagiarism, ensuring the code is of our own and that we do not share code/solutions amongst one another. In the case if assistance if needed, we must cite and document who and where the aid/assistance occurred in our code. This will ensure a healthy habit of giving credit where it is due, and mitigate the chance of plagiarism in the future.

Comments

  1. Hi Chris,
    I noticed that you reflected on improving your listening skills. I have this problem as well as I tend to get distracted when people are talking to me. Trying to predict the speaker's next thought is a great tip for staying focused. Along with just taking notes, writing down questions that are related to the speaker's content could help you stay engaged.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts